The best air compressor are machines that efficiently convert power into kinetic energy. This is achieved with an electric motor, a diesel engine, or a gasoline engine by compressing and pressurizing air that is released in quick surges. They are simple machines and can be driven by powerful electric motors or gas driven engines.
When compressed air is released, the pressure produces a powerful force of air capable of powering pneumatic tools. Electric motors are inexpensive and are pretty quiet for stationary compressors. Small engines appropriate for domestic electrical supplies use single phase alternating current.
Larger motors can only be used where an industrial electrical three-phase alternating current supply is available. Planning to buy an air compressor?
The key to choosing the best is to find a compressor that matches the purpose or job you need it for.
If it is for home or job use, buying a portable compressor will be the most convenient. For more high volume and complicated work such as powering automotive and production air tools, a stationary compressor is a right kind of the job.
How to choose Best Air Compressor
- Measured by CFM, or cubic-feet-per-minute or PSI
- Consider how you plan to use the air compressor
- Home improvement projects will not require anything over 6.0 CFM/90 PSI, but it’s safe to go higher
- When buying an air compressor, a good rule to follow is to go up to 40 percent higher than the recommended pressure
- As long as you purchase a compressor that can supply 125 or 150 PSI, you’ll be prepared for any work that comes along.
- The strength of the engine driving the compressor
- Air compressors will have a specific horsepower and buyers should buy compressors with horsepower that match their need
- When comparing horsepower and CFM, buyers should prioritize CFM over horsepower
Oil-free vs. Lubricated Compressor
- Lubricated compressors are not as loud as oil-free models, and they also last longer.
- These types of compressors spray a small amount of oil and will require an oil change now and then.
- If the buyer wants to use the compressor for spray painting or other jobs that require a clean environment, then an oiled compressor would not be a good choice.
Gas Powered vs. Electric
- Gas powered, very handy, reliable and powerful
- Not tied down to an electrical outlet
- Downside of a gas compressor is that they are going to be expensive and will have to be vented in a closed area when using
- Electric compressors are convenient for shop use and very reliable
- Some electrical systems will have problems handling the amperage draw of an even a large 110v compressor, and to have a 220v model you might have to do some extensive electrical work
- Electric is best for a home garage unless your electrical system can’t handle it
Recommended Best Air Compressor Reviews
1.Senco PC1010 1-Horsepower Peak
There are many convenient factors of this air compressor. This essential oil-less design implies that frequent maintenance isn’t required. This saves on the costs, gear, and work. Besides, oil changing is a messy job that leaves a great deal to end up being desired within the cleaning and getting rid of soiled products. With 1 horsepower, this appliance can power your requirements smoothly along with reduced recuperation time.
This strength could be maintained which makes it particularly useful in prolonged work. Tasks that involve air moving can be accomplished using the capability which allows it to pump air as much as 125 PSI that covers almost any inflation need at the office and in your home. Some home appliances lack accurate portability and therefore are merely portable. The Senco PC1010 has easy portability. It has a small body, so small operating spaces are no problem, and nor is carrying the applying to a second location.
- Lightweight and portable–easy to transport from job to job as you work
- One horsepower peak ,1/2 horsepower running and one-gallon capacity
- Ideal for a range of renovation and home improvement jobs, as well as for hobbies and crafts
- Delivers 20 to 44 drives per minute
2.Makita MAC700 Big Bore 2.0 HP Air Compressor
This air compressor has a substantially lower noise levels with a large 1720 RPM pump for greater displacement at lower RPM.
The low amp draw decreases incidences of tripped breakers and voltage drop that can cause premature motor failure There is a roll-bar handle for portability and additional protection.
Large automotive style industrial air filter for increased air intake and greater efficiency.
Durable cast iron cylinder reduces wear and increases pump life; removable for easy maintenance. Oil sight glass for fast, easy and efficient maintenance. Lever handle ball valve. Built-in thermal overload for additional motor protection. Model MAC700.
- Powerful 2 HP 4-pole motor that produces 3.3 CFM at 90 psi for high productivity
- Pump runs lower RPM (1,730) resulting in lower noise (80 dB) and improved pump durability
- Low amperage draw decreases incidences of tripped breakers when starting
- Pump is oil-lubricated for cooler running temperatures
- Roll-bar handle for portability
- Large automotive style industrial air filter to increase air intake
- Durable cast iron reduces wear and increases the pump life
- Oil sight glass provides fast, easy and efficient maintenance
- Lever handle ball valve – tank drain valve improves upon standard petcock design for easier maintenance
- Built-in thermal overload for additional motor protection
3.Porter-Cable C2002-WK Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor
The Porter-Cable has an oil-free motor, which is maintenance free. The most common and less powerful compressors do not hold enough power as compared to this compressors use of the maximum pressure of up to 150 PSI. This feature will allow users to do menial jobs at a much quicker rate than other standard air compressors.
With its almost non-existent recovery time, it allows more work to be done in a short while as compared to other air compressors with this same variety. This machine is highly portable is only 32.1 pounds. It’s style and design make it easy to transport and use in any of your project sites.
It’s 150 PSI max pressure gives the motor a longer running time and optimum productivity. It can store more air with the 6-gallon tank capacity this compressor has. It will allow more work time for your motor and more air bursts to power your air-powered tools. The machine’s pancake style and design makes it easier to store anywhere. You do not need a high cabinet or a big space for it to store in because it is rather smaller than your regular air compressor models.
- Maximum pressure of up to 150 psi.
- Allows better performance and optimized function for menial jobs that are time-consuming
- Coupled with less or otherwise, non-existent recovery time, this air compressor makes the work easy and uses much less time to complete them
4.Rolair JC10 1 HP Oil-Less Compressor
In the terms of performance, this item can produce 1 horsepower. It’s quite efficient for any different uses. People may also get the advantage from its performance. The compressor can provide at least 2.3 CFM. It also works at 90 PSI for the finishing work and trims. Here’s the important part.
Rolair JC10 1 HP indeed is a good choice of air compressor due to its noise level and the pump type.As the name implies, it uses an oil-less pump, unlike the others.
Thus, it becomes easier to maintain. Anyone can use it without hassles. On top of that, the compressor won’t produce lots of noises. It also has a single pump with only a cylinder. It’s so much satisfying as it produces 60 decibels.
- 2.35 CFM at 90 psi
- 1725 RPM motor
- Oil-less design reduces maintenance and downtime
- 2.5 Gallon tank capacity
- Cast Aluminum Cylinder
5. Campbell Hausfeld FP2028
If you are looking for a portable air compressor that is easy to move, the Campbell Hausfeld FP2028 might be what you need. With its weight of only 16 lbs, it would easy to move around with it.
Being able to carry a compressor to your work area without hardly any effort is a major benefit in itself. Its size also ensures it will not take up too much room.
Campbell Hausfeld FP2028 is for you who need a cheap compressor for household use. With its low price, you should not expect much from it.
However, if you are a do-it-yourself kind of person looking to buy a lightweight compressor for light home and automotive jobs occasionally, this oil-less device may fulfill your requirements.
Campbell Hausfeld FP2028 operates without oil. It is for use on a nominal 120-volt circuit and has a minimal amperage draw. The maximum pressure of this pancake compressor is 100 PSI with .39 SCFM at 90 PSI.
This should be adequate for accomplishing things like blowing dust from electronics, filling bike tires or air brushing. Although this unit is not powerful enough to power, for instance, a professional impact wrench, it is an ideal tool for small quick projects.
- Max pressure 110 psi
- Portable design with handle easy to carry
- Conveniently placed gauge easy to monitor air pressure
6.Makita MAC5200 Big Bore 3.0 HP Air Compressor
This product is very easy to use and has reduced noise making it easier to work, and you can work anywhere with it.
Its powerful motor of 3.0 HP makes it a great tool for your home and DIY projects to other bigger construction jobs at home and other job sites. It is built with the best materials that Makita has to offer and is guaranteed 100% tough.
This powerful air compressor is protected with a built-in thermal overload that regulates its performance and making sure it is not overworked thus improving its durability.
It is designed for high productivity with limited need for maintenance and enhanced the ability to function in diverse job site conditions.
- Powerful 3.0 HP motor produces 6.5 CFM at 90 PSI for increased productivity
- Pump is oil-lubricated for cooler running temperatures and reduced wear
- Durable cast iron reduces wear and increases the pump life; removable for easy maintenance
- Folding handle with low profile design for easy storage with handle folded
- Rugged wheels for job site portability.
- Built-in storage compartment conveniently stores air fittings and accessories
7. DEWALT DWFP55130 Heavy Duty 200 PSI
Dewalt DWPF55130’s can pump power up to the tank 15 times faster compared to other compressors. It provides you with maximum speed comparatively to other air compressors with the pressure of 200psi.
Dewalt DWPF55130’s is good for cleaning dust from furniture, chairs, tables, and any other items that you want to clean off. This machine has a lower noise level than others and can be easily carried.
This tool can be used both vertical and horizontal, making it versatile. Refilling the tank can be done easily and quickly, so there is no hassle. So, working in remote corners is no more a tedious task. This is a self-recharge compressor.
The Dewalt is durable and sturdy, and the oil-free pump allows for zero maintenance of the compressor. The compressor has a low recovery time, and the compressor regulates to around 1500 PSI so as to offer high efficiency. The pump provides a cut in at 165 PSI, ensuring that users never completely run out of air during a job.
- 3.0 SCFM delivered at 90 PSI pump, 2.5 Gal. tank and 200 max PSI
- Low 71.5 dBA allows a quieter operation
- Lightweight (36 lbs.), thin (12.5 in.) and compact design is easy to carry and store
- Compressor can be operated/stored in either the vertical or horizontal position
- Roll cage and control panel provide protection to key compressor components
- Dual quick couplers to easily support 2 nailers
- Ball valve drain allows for quick and thorough tank
- Convenient cord wraps for easy storage
- High-flow regulator for increased performance
8. Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow
Another air compressor on the low priced side, the Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow High-Volume 12-Volt Air Compressor can inflate a tire in less than 2 ½ minutes. The power is adequate, and it’s 120 PSI with a 16-foot coiled hose.
A storage bag is included with the purchase to help carry the unit.This is one of the lightest on the list, weighing only a 10 pounds, making it hard to beat for portability.
The unit is small enough to be stored in the most remote place possible, so this will fit right in with the other equipment. The power cord is massive at 10 ft. while also having access to a 16-foot hose that connects from the compressor to the tire.
A built-in pressure gauge is available and easy to read, and the unit has alligator clips so it can hook directly to the battery. The 120 PSI rating means it is powerful enough to make work easier. It also includes a long 16-foot hose so you can get to all of the tires while connected to the battery.
- Complete Tire Inflation System
- 16 Foot Easy Coil Air Hose
- 10 Foot Power Cord
- 120 PSI air compressor
9. DEWALT DWFP55126 6-Gallon 165 PSI Pancake Compressor
This compressor is built with a high-efficiency motor. It can have a smooth start even when the unit is plugged into an extension cord. The maximum pressure it is rated for is 165 PSI.
The capacity of the tank is 6 gallons, and the air delivery rate is 2.6 CFM at 90 PSI of discharge pressure.It is also equipped with a high flow regulator to provide high performance.
It comes with 2 universal couplers which means it can run two power tools simultaneously. The pump design is oil-fee for easier maintenance, and it has a ball drain valve which allows you to remove the tank fully to get rid of all the moisture that builds up inside. Given the high-pressure rate, this unit is surprisingly quiet with a noise level of 75dB.
It is very light, weighing just 30lbs which makes it easy to carry it with you to any location. Other features include rubber legs which improve stability and keep your floors scratch-free.
- 165 max PSI 6.0 gallon tank (22.7 L) and 2.6 SCFM delivered at 90 PSI pump
- High-efficiency motor for smooth startup in cold weather or extension cord application. [14 ga or larger, 50 ft. (15.2 m) or less]
- 75.5 dBA noise level for a quiet work setting
- High flow regulator and couplers to maximize air tool performance
10. Kensun YS-205 (Home 110V)/ DC (12V Car) Portable Air Compressor Tire Inflator
There are 3 nozzle adapters included with the unit. It will work well for tires, sports, and toys. The weight is at only 4.7 pounds and a width and height that makes it friendly to store in numerous places. This is an upgraded version of the D1001 model with better features and stability all around.
There may be compatibility issues with some cars, most notably expensive higher end cars that will probably require a different fitting than what’s in the package.
There is also the known problem with these types of compressors where ambient temps above 85 may cause some malfunctions when it is stored or operated for too long. This is a good starting compressor to have a portable unit.
- Multi-function inflator with operation under DC 12V or AC 110V
- 21.7in (55cm) high-quality rubber air hose
- The Kensun D1002 model has been tested on up to 33-inch tires. Pumps up to 40 PSI Airflow is at a rate of 11 liters per minute
- 9ft 10in (3m) cord with cigarette plug and 6ft 7in (2m) cord with AC plug
- 3 nozzle adapters
11. California Air Tools CAT-10020
This is one of the quietest air compressors you can currently buy. It clocks in at just 70 decibels. The compressor is oil-free lubrication, making it a low maintenance machine.
There is a dual-piston pump system that is for extended life, and the motor works at 1680 rpm. Because of this, it may contribute to longevity and durability.
The first thing you might notice is its large 10-gallon stainless steel tank that can fill up in less than a few minutes. The device comes equipped with connectors with a quick release action making, it possible to hook up 2 air tools at the same time.
The delivery rate is 5.3 CFM at 90 psi and means you can attach powerful tools to it or even several less powerful tools at once.
- Ultra Quiet only 70 Decibels
- Oil-Free Pump for Less Maintenance & Costs
- 10.0 Gallon Steel Tank with Wheels
- Easy Start Valve, for a low startup amp draw, Only 14-amps
- Powerful 2.0 HP Running Motor
Makita’s Big Bore engineered pump cylinder, and the piston is a 2.0 HP Air Compressor that has an increased output, decreased noise and offers good performance. It guarantees efficient delivery of industrial power and durability.
Its versatile design offers a wider range of application. It is an oil-lubricated air compressor and requires oil changes, but compressors with oil have a greater longevity compared to the oil-free types. Out of the products I have reviewed, I would recommend this air compressor.